Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Welcome To Real Men Wear Kilts

Hello All

Welcome to my little space on the web where I get to talk about Kilts, Outlander, Scotland and just about every thing Celtic.

Ever since I was a boy I have always loved Scotland / Ireland and all things Celtic. To this day when I hear "Scotland The Brave" or "Amazing Grace" played on the pipes, a pride rises up inside me.

All through my childhood I watched every movie I could about Scotland and then the epic classic came out - BRAVEHEART. Yep, talk about the Scottish movie of all movies.

To this day I still remember the famous speech - "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!  - ALBA GU BRA!" (Scotland Forever in Gaelic)


On my mother's side is where I get my Scottish / Irish. She is a Moore and we come from descendants of Scots who fled Scotland to Ireland because they wanted freedom of worship. During the late 1700s there was persecution taking place against Presbyterians, back then they were referred to as Covenanters.
The Covenanters were a Scottish Presbyterian movement that played an important part in the history of Scotland, and to a lesser extent that of England and Ireland, during the 17th century. Presbyterian denominations tracing their history to the Covenanters and often incorporating the name continue the ideas and traditions in Scotland and internationally.
source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter
My Muir (Moore) ancestors arrived in America in the mid 1700 via Ireland after fleeing Scotland.

More to follow ... 







No comments:

Post a Comment